Ladies glove

18th century, origin unknown. CH-Neuchâtel, Museum d'Histoire naturelle (MS Inventory 8)

Sea-silk twisted with another yarn, hole pattern at the elbow, without fingers, but with opened thumb. 8 mm edge in plain knitting right, length 41 cm, palm width 7.5 cm. In the longitudinal midth of the glove two pink stiches are visible.


This single glove is sad to come from the Cabinet d'histoire naturelle of the Swiss Général Charles D. de Meuron (1736-1806), officer in the navy of the French king.

This Cabinet de Meuron constitutes the basis of the Musée d'Ethnographie and the Muséum d'Histoire Naturelle in Neuchâtel.


Sources: Dufour & Haenni 1985, Kaehr 2000



Ladies glove
Ladies glove, 18th c., origin unknown. CH-Neuchâtel, Museum d'Histoire naturelle (MS Inventory 8)